Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ginger-packed Carrot Soup

cshenk wrote on Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:43:34 -0500:

>>> There is a recipe for the subject soup in today's Washington
>>> Post. You

>> If you ask nicely, cshenk might post her carrot soup recipe. Don't
>> mess with it because it's OMG fantastic just the way it
>> is and dead easy too.

> LOL! Can't find it in my recipe base! But i have several. I
> suspect this is it:

> 2 cups stock (chicken or dashi)
> 1 cup chopped carrots (maybe a bit more)

> Crockpot that and add butter (about 1 TB to start). Once
> carrots are soft, put in blender and puree. Serve with a bit of
> butter and you can add other spices if you wish.

> That the version you mean SF?

> BTW, I agree that boxed Dashi is good. In fact, it may need a
> little kombu added but overall it is as good as home made and bought
> in bulk, quite cheap. I used to make my own, but that
> was before I had access to the boxed granules.

> ---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

> Title: Dashi
> Categories: Xxcarol, Soups
> Yield: 4 Servings

> 1 sm Kombu piece (seaweed/kelp)
> 2 c Water
> 1 c Katsuo bushi (dried bonito)

> The kombu piece will be about 4-5 inches square.

> Place on heat, remove kombu when it comes to a boil and add Katsuo
> Bushi.Once flakes sink, pour through strainer and
> discard flakes (or save forsecond soup use!). Can be made
> without Katsuo Bushi, with Shiitakemushrooms in it's place for
> a less salty and vegetarian type but it needs a
> good 2 hours gentle boil to taste right.

> Optional additions galore! Top picks are little chunks of
> Tofu, greenonions, mushroom bits, shrimp, and shredded
> cabbage.

Thanks, some very interesting ideas! One of the things about the Wash
Post recipe was the large amount of ginger (and I doubled it!). As I
said, commercial dried dashi is available so why bother spending the
time with your own bonito flakes and kombu? Incidentally, Ajinomoto also
makes a very good dried vegetable stock that I frequently use.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland