Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Ginger-packed Carrot Soup

"sf" wrote
"James Silverton" wrote:

>> There is a recipe for the subject soup in today's Washington Post. You

> If you ask nicely, cshenk might post her carrot soup recipe. Don't
> mess with it because it's OMG fantastic just the way it is and dead
> easy too.

LOL! Can't find it in my recipe base! But i have several. I suspect this
is it:

2 cups stock (chicken or dashi)
1 cup chopped carrots (maybe a bit more)

Crockpot that and add butter (about 1 TB to start). Once carrots are soft,
put in blender and puree. Serve with a bit of butter and you can add other
spices if you wish.

That the version you mean SF?

BTW, I agree that boxed Dashi is good. In fact, it may need a little kombu
added but overall it is as good as home made and bought in bulk, quite
cheap. I used to make my own, but that was before I had access to the boxed
granules.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Dashi
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups
Yield: 4 Servings

1 sm Kombu piece (seaweed/kelp)
2 c Water
1 c Katsuo bushi (dried bonito)

The kombu piece will be about 4-5 inches square.

Place on heat, remove kombu when it comes to a boil and add Katsuo Bushi.
Once flakes sink, pour through strainer and discard flakes (or save for
second soup use!). Can be made without Katsuo Bushi, with Shiitake
mushrooms in it's place for a less salty and vegetarian type but it needs
good 2 hours gentle boil to taste right.

Optional additions galore! Top picks are little chunks of Tofu, green
onions, mushroom bits, shrimp, and shredded cabbage.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol

-----