Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Best meatloaf I've ever made!

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:50:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first. I can't
>remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy, Evelyn, Susan or
>Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.
>
>This time I used a large onion, a small zucchini, three huge cremini
>mushrooms, several handfuls of spinach, a green pepper, and several baby
>carrots. I sautéed them until almost dry. They were chopped well prior to
>cooking. To help dry them out I added some "Just Peppers" red bell peppers.
>These are freeze dried. Then when I mixed it all up today, I decided to add
>more of those peppers, some white onion of that brand, and also some dried
>celery and parsley.
>
>I used a single serve can of V8 and quite a lot of ketchup. Also a couple
>of small handfuls of gluten free oats that had been whizzed in the blender.
>Plenty of black pepper, Italian seasoning, some salt and three pounds or
>organic ground beef. Really lean. Oh! And two little containers of baby
>food squash.
>
>My only complaint is that I used a different brand of chili sauce. I
>normally buy some homemade stuff at Central Market, but Angela wanted the
>Heinz because it says "gluten free" on the bottle. There is something I
>don't quite like so much about the flavor. I don't know what it is. A
>seasoning I think. And it seems pretty salty. If I use it again, I will
>mix it with ketchup. It's not really bad. I just like the other kind a lot
>better! I put the chili sauce over the top.
>

>I wound up with 9 good sized meatloaves. Angela was unable to finish hers
>and that's rare for her. We each had one and I will put the rest in the
>freezer. Have to put them up individually because there is precious little
>room in the freezer!

Hi Julie,

It was probably me who told you to sautee the veggies first. I always
do that and it works beautifully. This is what I use.

Onions (chopped)
Celery "
Carrots finely diced

I sautee them till they are tender, then let them cool down. Then I
combine them with the meat, egg, breadcrumbs (or oats) and add salt,
pepper and chopped fresh parsley, mix well with my hands and form into
a large loaf, which I top with ketchup before I bake it.

I bake it for about an hour at 375.

Sometimes I use just beef and sometimes I add a bit of ground pork to
it.

Glad it worked out for you.

Evelyn