Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On 12/26/2010 12:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 8:43 AM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
>> a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
>> were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
>> twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
>> up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
>> or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
>> enough to cook on Christmas morning.

> Oddly enough, I can get a 20 lb turkey for less than $8 at the Safeway.
> OTOH, a rib roast will be $7/lb. That's the breaks I guess.

Yeah, at Thanksgiving they were doing the sub-20-pounders at $8 and the
20-plus ones at $10, or something like that. We would have gotten two if
I'd had the freezer space. I don't like turkey, but James really does.

> I wanted to celebrate Christmas like they do in Japan - too bad the
> Kentucky Fried Chicken was closed for the holiday. That was a bummer. :-)

Heh. For Thanksgiving, I had done the big holiday ten days early, so I
wanted to have Thai food for dinner on the actual day (and didn't feel
like cooking it). Turns out all our Thai places are closed on
Thanksgiving, so I went to our favorite one the night before and got
enough to have dinner that night, and leftovers all day the next day.
Smartest $100 I ever spent.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com