Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_12_] dsi1[_12_] is offline

Default But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On 12/26/2010 8:43 AM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
> a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
> were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
> twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
> up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
> or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
> enough to cook on Christmas morning.

Oddly enough, I can get a 20 lb turkey for less than $8 at the Safeway.
OTOH, a rib roast will be $7/lb. That's the breaks I guess.

> While it was cooking, I was making giblet stock. Then what the heck,
> might as well make bread dressing out of this almost-stale bread, since
> I just baked a fresh loaf for the Gigantic Munchkin....

I wanted to celebrate Christmas like they do in Japan - too bad the
Kentucky Fried Chicken was closed for the holiday. That was a bummer. :-)