Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default HELP!!! BAD coffee from a drip machine

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 06:14:44 -0800 (PST), none of your business
> wrote:

>On Dec 20, 11:44*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
>> On Dec 20, 7:52*pm, Theodore Edward Stosterone
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > 'k.... *It's just the wife and I and our 12-cup machine cratered. *We
>> > buy whole bean coffee from a variety of sources, and it's always been
>> > OK-Good.

>> > We bought a cheap Black and Decker "6 cup" (read 3-cup) coffee machine
>> > (kinda' like you see in hotels). *We grind the beans like we used to,
>> > use the same water, same... yadda yadda yadda.

>> > It made a couple "pots" OK. *But lately, the result has been AWFUL...
>> > bitter, blecky, undrinkable.

>> > Any help?

>> > TIA,

>> Those smaller coffee makers make crappy coffee, period. *Just get
>> yourself a 12-cup Mr. Coffee, the plain one. *They are $12 or $14
>> bucks at Target.

>i disagree, I used a 4 cup Mr Coffee from Target for years. I never
>had a problem with it.

Everyone is different, there truly is no accounting for taste. However
the most critical element in coffee brewing, even more than the
coffee, is the water. The OP is using the same coffee in the same
machine that previously produced satisfactory brew, could be using
bottled/filtered water and simply got a bad one... the water is the
only thing that could have changed... even slightly lower brew water
temperature wouldn't make lousy enough coffee to write about, and one
would readily notice if their coffee was suddenly brewing cooler with
their first cup. And we don't know how the OP drinks their java, if
with dairy could easily be milk about to turn. The cup may not be
clean, could have traces of detergent... there really is no way to
come to any conclusion, not with the limited info offered... all
anyone can offer is wild speculation.