Posted to rec.food.cooking
ravenlynne[_5_] ravenlynne[_5_] is offline

Default Making no flour peanut butter cookies..

On 12/20/2010 12:00 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:15:02 -0500, ravenlynne
> > wrote:
>
>> On 12/20/2010 1:56 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:04:31 -0500, ravenlynne

>>> I'm wondering what baking soda is supposed to do.
>>>

>> I would assume it's to make them rise? I have no idea, to me it's just
>> unnecessary. But YMMV.

> Okay, I made them last night and pretty much followed the recipe. I
> didn't see any puffiness from the egg, they didn't spread and the
> cookie is crumbly from the gitgo - but oh, man are they ever
> delicious! I'll make them again. I used chunky peanut butter,
> shorted the sugar by 1/4 C and added some vanilla. They are peanut
> butter crack. I ate one as soon as I got up and can see myself eating
> one every time I pass by the cookie jar.

I put the extra sugar and they are chewy. Could be the humidity here too.

> Whatever you do. DO NOT overcook them.

This is so true!

The first batch took 9-10
> minutes. never looked brown on the bottom and didn't change color at
> all on top either. In the morning light, I can see that they are a
> *very* light brown on their bottoms. I turned up the heat for the
> last batch (which was only 7 cookies, thank goodness), cooked them for
> 8 minutes on convect and managed to burn them around the edges. As
> soft as they seem when they come out of the oven, the cookies are
> crispy when cool.

I had this problem the first time I made them...they don't really change
color.

> I'd say that if you use a 1 inch "disher", you'll get two dozen
> cookies - give or take.

That's about what I got...I just rolled into one inch balls. I'm
unfamiliar with a "disher".

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?