Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Making no flour peanut butter cookies..

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:15:02 -0500, ravenlynne
> wrote:

> On 12/20/2010 1:56 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:04:31 -0500, ravenlynne
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I've never added baking soda...they puff up adequately from the egg.
> >> The point is to keep it simple.

> > I'm wondering what baking soda is supposed to do.
> >

> I would assume it's to make them rise? I have no idea, to me it's just
> unnecessary. But YMMV.

Okay, I made them last night and pretty much followed the recipe. I
didn't see any puffiness from the egg, they didn't spread and the
cookie is crumbly from the gitgo - but oh, man are they ever
delicious! I'll make them again. I used chunky peanut butter,
shorted the sugar by 1/4 C and added some vanilla. They are peanut
butter crack. I ate one as soon as I got up and can see myself eating
one every time I pass by the cookie jar.

Whatever you do. DO NOT overcook them. The first batch took 9-10
minutes. never looked brown on the bottom and didn't change color at
all on top either. In the morning light, I can see that they are a
*very* light brown on their bottoms. I turned up the heat for the
last batch (which was only 7 cookies, thank goodness), cooked them for
8 minutes on convect and managed to burn them around the edges. As
soft as they seem when they come out of the oven, the cookies are
crispy when cool.

I'd say that if you use a 1 inch "disher", you'll get two dozen
cookies - give or take.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.