Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default Rapid Rise Yeast

On Dec 17, 9:57*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:24:29 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> >On Dec 17, 3:43 am, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> >> It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
> >> use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
> >> period.

> >> I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
> >> many years.

> >> Boron

> >what is the difference between 'instant' yeast and 'rapid rise' yeast?

> Nada, AFAIK. Fleischmann''s uses the terms interchangeably, too.
>
> http://www.breadworld.com/products.aspx
>
> >I still use active dry yeast and proof it.

> Now you see, that IS a difference. I buy RRY by the pound and
> vac-freeze it in smaller packets, then keep an ounce or so in the
> fridge in a Tupperware container. I also tend to use fresh yeast or
> sourdough starter more often than any sort of dry yeast, so I need
> something dry that holds up like iron.
>
> Dry yeast lasts forever in the freezer. *I just used up a batch that
> was "use by" dated from 2007. If you do not bake frequently, *do not
> store your yeast in the freezer and/or do not know if your yeast
> purchase was made from products stored under ideal conditions, then go
> ahead and proof.
>
> Me? I hate to proof. It is 15 minutes that I could have spent in
> getting the dough ready. Really, though...I bake breads and yeasted
> goods so often, that I can skate blindfolded and backwards with this
> stuff. I have few talents, but using yeast is one of them. If you have
> ANY doubts, proof before you waste your time and ingredients.
>
> Boron

I buy my yeast by the pound and keep it in the freezer. I just put
the liqud and the yeast to proof first while I'm gathering up
everhthing else and by the time I'm ready for it....it's all proofed
and ready. Easy peasy. But you bake probably every day....I only
bake on the weekends if I possiibly can so I don't find it a hassle to
proof the yeast.

BTW I've made that mixed grain bread I came up with from your
suggestion several times now an have given away many loaves to friends
and they LOVE it. It turned out to be a great recipe. Thanks!!