Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Rapid Rise Yeast

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:24:29 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Dec 17, 3:43*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
>> use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
>> period.
>>
>> I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
>> many years.
>>
>> Boron

>what is the difference between 'instant' yeast and 'rapid rise' yeast?

Nada, AFAIK. Fleischmann''s uses the terms interchangeably, too.

http://www.breadworld.com/products.aspx

>I still use active dry yeast and proof it.

Now you see, that IS a difference. I buy RRY by the pound and
vac-freeze it in smaller packets, then keep an ounce or so in the
fridge in a Tupperware container. I also tend to use fresh yeast or
sourdough starter more often than any sort of dry yeast, so I need
something dry that holds up like iron.

Dry yeast lasts forever in the freezer. I just used up a batch that
was "use by" dated from 2007. If you do not bake frequently, do not
store your yeast in the freezer and/or do not know if your yeast
purchase was made from products stored under ideal conditions, then go
ahead and proof.

Me? I hate to proof. It is 15 minutes that I could have spent in
getting the dough ready. Really, though...I bake breads and yeasted
goods so often, that I can skate blindfolded and backwards with this
stuff. I have few talents, but using yeast is one of them. If you have
ANY doubts, proof before you waste your time and ingredients.

Boron