Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
schwarze schwarze is offline

Default My Tamales aren't brown like the pictures

On Nov 21, 12:57*am, Karisia_Safaris <Karisia_Safaris.
> wrote:

> They are very tasty but those
> depicted in the images are nice and brown as if they have seen a bit of
> broiling from above. My tamales are very white.

No, tamales aren't broiled, the masa is cooked only by steaming.

The *color* of the steamed masa depends upon the sauce you used with
the fillings.

Chicken tamales made with green sauce won't change the color of the
masa.

But beef tamales made with a red sauce will turn *orange* as the sauce
permeates the lard mixed into the masa to flavor it.