MarilynR MarilynR is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Pete C. wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Commercial quality mixers and grinders are fitted with cast stainless
steel attachments... even though slightly porous as well those can
safely go into the dishwasher.

Sheldon

Which brands have cast stainless steel attachments? The 30qt Hobart I
used most recently had an AL paddle. At those sizes and up a stainless
paddle would get annoyingly heavy.

Heavy, not really... certanly not as heavy as those large stainless
bowls... a 90 pound weakling like you would never make it as an auto
mechanic (what with those heavy wrenches) let alone in a commercial
bakery.. whaddaya mean lift 100 lb flour sacks. That's the number one
drop out reason in the cculinary industry... hard labor... working in
a commercial kitchen is one of the most physically demanding
occupations there is. To listen to you whine I bet you can't change a
flat tire yourself... who will help you lift that spare out of the
trunk. and it's only a donut! hehe

Stainless steel is a pretty common material in the food industry, most
anything that contacts food can be ordered in stainless steel. I'm
pretty sure you can order Kitchen Aid paddles and dough hooks in
stainless. Cast stainless steel meat grinder augers are readily
available, so is the meat grinder body, even for hand grinders... more
and more tinned cast iron is shifting to cast stainless.

If you search you'll find lots more.

ACityDiscount Inventory ID 54954 | ACityDiscount

stainless steel hooks - Gift Shopping at BizRate.

Sheldon
I just got off an online chat with a KitchenAid rep. They have a "burnished" aluminum paddle that fits the 5 quart stand mixer, but she said they do not have stainless paddles. I plan to get one; only $14.99 plus shipping. My husband will probably peel the coating off my present one and polish it on a Bright Boy too.

Thanks for the suggestion to cook out the food residue that might remain on the beater.

I have the coated paddle that came with the machine when I bought it new in August of '05. The coating just started peeling off. I adjusted the height of the bowl with the screw in back of the bowl (instructions in my owner's manual) which should help keep the paddle from rubbing against the stainless bowl as much.

I use the mixer for making a thick chocolate chip cookie dough mostly, average a batch a week, so the coating has held up pretty well.

Last edited by MarilynR : 14-12-2010 at 11:09 PM Reason: add a few words and correct grammar