Alex Rast

Default Pie Crust

at Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:00:31 GMT in <da99096b.0310141400.247dfe28
@posting.google.com>, (michele) wrote :

>I would like to know if anyone has any advice on how to make a pie
>crust that is flaky and easy to prepare. I've just starting to do
>more baking and I am not familiar with many tips on pie crust recipes.
> Thanks

90% of the problem is skill and practice. Making a crust flaky isn't
difficult once you've done it enough, but without some practice and skill,
risks failure even though the directions are simple. The basic idea:

Cut (solid) fat into flour using a pastry cutter or 2 knives. This means
use literally a cutting motion through the fat, which you've dumped into
the flour, not a stirring motion. You can lift the flour over the fat, but
not stir it.

Don't proceed too far with cutting. The mixture should still be very uneven
and not fully blended when you stop. I aim for a mix resembling coarse
breadcrumbs mixed with peas.

Do everything gently. This means don't apply much force at any point, in
any direction.

Use lard for flakiness. The best is leaf lard you've rendered yourself.
Next best is leaf lard that you've bought. Supermarket brick lard will work
OK but is not an ideal choice.

Not all the fat need be lard. In fact, it's best if it isn't. Half lard,
half butter works better because the flavour is almost infinitely better.
Once you get skilled, you can use all butter, but this will require working
quickly and being very careful.

Don't skimp on fat ratios. I've used a ratio of 2:5 fat : flour for some
time, and in fact 1:2 is less risky if you've not got plenty of practice.

After you've cut in the fat, add water. Add only just enough that it will
barely hold together when you press it gently. Adding too much water is
your ticket to an iron crust. You'll probably think you haven't added
enough the first time you make a crust. It's best to add a tablespoonful at
a time, staying on the low side initially.

Roll gently as well. It should roll with *no* pressure at all on the pin.
The weight of the pin itself should do the job. Your hands should guide the
pin only. This means the best way to do it is to cradle the handles rather
than grip them.

Keep everything cold. This means chill fats, flours, and water before
making, and chill bowls, boards, pins, knives, etc. Work quickly and in a
cool room. If you're making a 2-crust pie, put the ball for the top crust
in the fridge while you roll the bottom.

Again, practice, practice, practice. Take stock of what you did for each
pie and make note of the results. That way you can find what works and what
doesn't.
--
Alex Rast