Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food
Retirednoguilt Retirednoguilt is offline

Default The Stench of Subway

On 12/4/2010 7:47 PM, L G wrote:
> Retirednoguilt wrote:

>>> Ask the locals. You might end up in a place you would never try. I used
>>> to travel a lot and found some great restaurants that way.

>> Very unlikely that in a remote area anyone is going to recommend
>> anything other than a national chain or their relative's place,
>> regardless of quality.

> I post from experience. Have you traveled much? Have you asked the
> locals for a recommendation? I have many times without a bad experience.

Let's see, 30 years in the military, 2-5 trips/year since 1982 either to
visit relatives or for vacation. Been to different parts of Canada 6-8
times, Central America, South America, USSR (when it still was the
USSR), Russia, all of Scandinavia, all of western and most of eastern
Europe too many times to keep count of, Japan twice, Iceland a few
times, and a good many trips to places I could tell you about but then
would have to kill you. You decide - have I traveled much?

Have I asked locals for recommendations? In this country, all I ever
seem to get for recommendations in the more rural areas is Pizza Hut,
Burger King, Taco Bell, Olive Garden, and their competitors. When I'm
going to suburban/urban areas, I do my own restaurant research on the
web before I leave home because I really enjoy eating good food and when
I'm traveling, I hate to eat at a chain that has a branch within 10
miles of my house at home!

Local recommendation on the road are as tricky as they are at home.
Some of my neighbors think that the national chains are some of the best
restaurants you can find. You know, if you travel to my neighborhood
and ask my neighbors for their recommendations, you will be asking the
"locals" here. What makes the "locals" elsewhere more aware of my
tastes and criteria for good food than the "locals" on my street?