Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Mass produced vs. Organic Free Range Eggs

" Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> "Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
>
> On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
>> comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs.
>> One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. No salt or
>> any added fats.
>>
>> Result: The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells.
>> Otherwise they tasted identical. I'll stick do the mass produced,
>> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.
>>
>> -sw

> The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
> like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
> eggs is still a good deal in my book.
>

> Here in Australia, it is illegal to use hormones or antibiotics in chicken
> or egg production!
>
> -- Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

I don't see the difference in taste or quality. I'm not willing to pay
$3.50 for a dozen eggs. (I also can't have chickens running around in my
back yard.) I don't eat eggs often enough to worry about whatever it is you
think they contain. I'm watching my wallet, not what someone might be doing
to eggs. I've been eating regular store bought eggs for 40-something years
without a problem. Don't need to spend extra on "organic". IMHO, the whole
"organic" thing is a marketing ploy to get people to line someone's pocket.

Jill