Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food
TFM®[_1_] TFM®[_1_] is offline

Default The Stench of Subway

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:25:48 -0800, Golden California Girls wrote:

>>> You've got me curious. According to what you say, the pollution
>>> control equipment must be converting the flue exhaust to other
>>> chemicals (that smell foul to some people) rather than absorbing
>>> the pollutants in the flue exhaust (in which case there would be no
>>> odor). So, what chemicals are coming out of the pollution control
>>> equipment that smell foul but are not polluting?

>> Pollution is what the government requires smokestack tests for.
>> Ususally things like oxides of nitrogen, ozone, unburned
>> hydrocarbons, or visible carbon (soot). Since Subway now does eggs,
>> there is a ready source of sulfur. A incorrectly designed or
>> operated after burner (pollution control equipment) could easily
>> pump out oxides of sulfur or hydrogen sulfide. Not the best smells
>> in the world. Of course this may have nothing to do with his nose.
>> Perhaps he has a reaction to some cleaning substance they use.

> Are you talking about my nose?
>
> No, I just think they food they cook in there smells nasty. It's
> the ingredients they use,not any sort of scrubbers or cleaning
> agents. It's the store that stinks, not the exhaust.
>
> Bread baking is not supposed to smell like that.

I agree. They have them inside Radiant / Marathon gas station / convenience
stores here sometimes. I wince when I walk into one.
I remember walking into one such store a long time ago and asking the girl
behind the non-Subway counter WTF that nasty smell was. She told me it was
the bread and she could hardly stand to work there since they put the Subway
in,.

For a killer sub here*, Publix can't be beat. Just a few dollars more for a
footlong, and the bread is toothy and natural tasting. No stench in or
around their stores either, and they bake a lot more bread daily than a
Subway.

*Tampa area, Florida
TFM®