Posted to rec.food.cooking
gloria.p gloria.p is offline

Default New Olive Oil Boutique in Santa Cruz

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Must be the latest foo-foo food trend. I know of at least three within >
>>> 25 minutes of me.

>> I don't know that I would characterize it that way. Americans in general
>> tend to be ignorant about olive oil, as demonstrated here lately. What
>> better way to allow them to get to know the product? It's good for you, so
>> getting familiar with it, understanding how to use it and why one rather
>> than the other can't be bad?

> I can't disagree with most of what you're saying ‹ it's just that all of
> a sudden they're popping up "all over the place." What I would be
> really curious about is if they attract new customers and hold them or
> if the prices will keep folks away. (The last shop I went to is where I
> bought what is apparently *real* balsamic vinegar - 18 years old, I
> think. Quite different from supermarket balsamic. The oil shops seem
> to also stock the foo-foo vinegars.)

It'll be another fad. How many of those have we lived through in the
past xxx years? Remember when croissants used to be the Big Thing?
Then it was specialty popcorn and bagel shops. Now expensive, specialty
cupcakes are everywhere. Advertising and fads rule. :-(

gloria p