Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Chicken rice casserole recipe?

On 28 Nov 2010 18:08:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 28 Nov 2010 14:07:38 GMT, KenK > wrote:
> >
> >> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My
> >> ancient _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone
> >> have a favorite recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly
> >> Googling; I've too often been disappointed that way.
> >>

> > My chicken and rice isn't a casserole dish. It's stovetop.
> >

> That's ok. Could you please post it?

It's not what I'd call a recipe, Ken, but here goes -

Season your chicken parts and sauté them in as little oil as possible.
If you use skinless parts, you may need to add a teaspoon or so of oil
or butter (grandma used butter, I use olive oil) - but if they are
skin on, there should be plenty of fat so you won't need any oil. I
aim for browned on the outside and as raw as possible on the inside.
Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside. Add desired amount of
rice (I always use medium - not long grain) and a little oil, if
necessary. Stir on low until translucent. Start adding broth or
water risotto style, a little at a time. When the rice has popped
(but you still see a bit of raw rice in the middle) and the liquid is
almost absorbed, put the chicken on top of it and cover. Cook on low
heat until the chicken is cooked through and the rice develops a
crispy brown bottom.

I usually add chopped onion to my rice in the sautéing stage, but it's
not necessary. Don't forget a bit of salt too - otherwise it will be
flat tasting. HTH

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.