Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Funny Thanksgiving Stories

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Now that we are back in WA, we usually have Thanksgiving at their house.
>> They bought a complete meal from Boston Market when it was here and a
>> cooked
>> one from the grocery store. We weren't pleased with either of them.
>> We're
>> all really picky eaters though.

> <shakes head> Sorry hon', but if you are going to be "picky eaters",
> pre-cooked meals are never going to work. ;-)
>
> I have, in the past when I was just to busy working more than one job,
> purchased pre-smoked or pre-roasted turkeys and just heated them. They
> were acceptable but too salty. Sides are easy enough, I never bothered
> to cheat with those...
>
> Later today, I will attempt my first home smoked bird. Intent is to just
> cut it in half down the center instead of spatching it as my smoker is
> just not wide enough.
>
> I'll roast the yams in the table top roaster, or maybe in the toaster
> oven. Have not decided yet...
>
> Likely the latter as it lives on the dead glasstop where the other is
> stored in a corner.
>
> I'm currently baking a Turban squash in the toaster oven seeded and
> stuffed with buttery mashed potatoes. Should be interesting.

My daughter likes smoked turkey. But I don't. Not sure if my husband likes
it or not. He really likes the legs. Odd that my mom didn't serve any. I
assume she got a whole bird. She said it was 22 pounds. Normally she will
buy extra legs because all the males in the family like them. But she said
this year everyone at the store were just sort of shell shocked after having
been snowed in. She said the aisles were terribly crowded. People just
sort of grabbed stuff and ran. Perhaps they didn't have any legs. When
I've bought them in the past, I would find two at this store, two at that
store. No quantity of them anywhere. Except oddly for times other than
Thanksgiving and when my husband isn't home. I found the best way to cook
them is in the crockpot with some big pieces of onion and celery that are
discarded later. Husband didn't like them with BBQ sauce.