Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chemo the Clown[_2_] Chemo the Clown[_2_] is offline

Default Funny Thanksgiving Stories

On Nov 24, 3:10*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Let Kroger Do it For You". *Or so my mother thought one year. *I believe it
> was around 1977. *My mother kept seeing ads in the newspaper and on TV, "Let
> Kroger Do it For You", accompanied by a picture of a nicely roasted turkey,
> dressing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. *So she called Kroger and told
> them to reserve a dinner for us. *She arranged to pick it up around 3PM on
> Thanksgiving day.
>
> My brother and I went with her to the store to pick it up. *He came out
> carrying the box. *As he was putting it in the trunk he said, "This box is
> awfully cold." *We/she opened it up to find a 12 lb. frozen *uncooked*
> turkey, frozen dressing, frozen everything. *(The ad was very misleading.)
> She expected a fully cooked dinner in a box, with maybe only some minor
> reheating necessary.
>
> My mother wasn't one to lose her temper often, but this time she did! *She
> had my brother carry the box back into the store and demanded to speak to
> the manager. *She was yelling about false advertising. *LOL *Yep, Mom could
> be feisty. *She got her money back.
>
> But now we were stuck without a Thanksgiving dinner. *Well hell, who says it
> has to be turkey? *She promptly drove to another grocery store. *We had NY
> strip steaks and baked potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner that year
>
> Anyone got any funny holiday food memories to share?
>
> Jill

One year when I was maybe 9, my folks forgot to buy the turkey. I
guess my mom thought my dad was going to get it and vice versa.
So...because the freezer was loaded with fish...we had fish and all
the trimmings.