Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Funny Thanksgiving Stories

"Let Kroger Do it For You". Or so my mother thought one year. I believe it
was around 1977. My mother kept seeing ads in the newspaper and on TV, "Let
Kroger Do it For You", accompanied by a picture of a nicely roasted turkey,
dressing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. So she called Kroger and told
them to reserve a dinner for us. She arranged to pick it up around 3PM on
Thanksgiving day.

My brother and I went with her to the store to pick it up. He came out
carrying the box. As he was putting it in the trunk he said, "This box is
awfully cold." We/she opened it up to find a 12 lb. frozen *uncooked*
turkey, frozen dressing, frozen everything. (The ad was very misleading.)
She expected a fully cooked dinner in a box, with maybe only some minor
reheating necessary.

My mother wasn't one to lose her temper often, but this time she did! She
had my brother carry the box back into the store and demanded to speak to
the manager. She was yelling about false advertising. LOL Yep, Mom could
be feisty. She got her money back.

But now we were stuck without a Thanksgiving dinner. Well hell, who says it
has to be turkey? She promptly drove to another grocery store. We had NY
strip steaks and baked potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner that year

Anyone got any funny holiday food memories to share?

Jill