Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: T'giving comes early- CA, Champagne, Napa, Loire, Beaujolais

On Nov 9, 9:19*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Over 4 days, the 2009 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay *Kabinett showed
> very well. Pale and bright with a slight hint of spritz, green apples
> and lime, slatey mineral notes. Nice length. Moderately sweet, but no
> more than I find appropriate for Rheingau kabinett. Nice value
> ($12.75). B+
>
> A broken water main convinced me that leftovers were best option
> Saturday, accompanied by the 2007 Filliatreau "Grande Vignolle" Saumur-
> Champigny. Nice fresh crunch red fruits, a little tobacco leaf. solid
> acidity, light tannins. Maybe not quite the depth of the '05, but a
> solid and friendly
> Cabv Franc. B/B+
>
> Sunday was grilled skirt steak with broccoli as well as green beans in
> a balsamic vinaigrette. with the 2006 Haven Bourriquot (from 375 ml).
> Dark fruits, moderate tannins, ok acidity, some horse sweat and earth.
> Shows it's Napa-ness,but not over the top. B
>
> David is home for a week, as he won't see Thanksgiving in Scotland, we
> decided to do a T'giving dinner, and invited some friends of our he is
> fond of to join us (as well as his girlfriend). We had bubbly as an
> aperitif and into first course (a great squash soup with a bit of
> andouille). The NV Gosset *"Excellence" Brut Champagne is on the full
> side of the spectrum, creamy texture, fresh apple pie aromas, good
> finish. Bright acidity keeps it light on *toes for a big bubbly. Fine
> mousse. I tend to lean towards the lighter end of Champagne, but this
> is a fine example of a fuller-framed NV. B+/A-
>
> Then on to capon, sage dressing, Brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes.
> For an American "holiday" *seemed a good time to open an American wine
> that had been staring at me for couple of months. The 2007 Bookster
> Pinot Noir (Sonoma) was just not my style, though quite popular with
> at least 2 people. Thick, sweet, this needs more acid. More
> appropriate as a pancake topping than wine. OK, a bit of an
> exaggeration, but thick is not a positive word when describing Pinot
> for me. C+
>
> The 2009 Coquelet Beaujolais-Villages is better, though it surprises
> me by being fairly ripe as well. This is the first 2009 Beaujolais
> I've had where I thought just a little less fruit-forwardness might be
> appropriate/appealing. This reminds me a bit of some of the 2003
> Beaujolais, which all of the people who didn't usually like Beaujolais
> found so appealing. But still, much more structure and interest than
> the Bookster. Very ripe cherries, earth, a tiny hint of merde/poop.
> With a little time in glass I appreciate more. Not bad at all, but
> maybe not a re-buy for me in a vintage so strong across the board in
> the region. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> [...]

Thanks for the notes. I've been mulling my options and I'm trying for
an all American line-up but I wanted to serve a Gewurtz and haven't
found a domestic one that I'm partial to. The closest I've found so
far is the 2006 Kelham. Any suggestions welcomed.