Ed Rasimus

Default Santa Fe Experiences

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:11:23 -0400, Ewan McNay >
wrote:

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>> Wine was a poor match for the heat of the shrimp, but an excellent
>> bottle regardless. Shafer "Relentless" '01. A syrah with about 5%
>> petite syrah blend. Looked almost like the blueberry syrup container
>> at IHOP in the glass. Viscous, bluish purple clinging to the glass.
>> Beautiful nose of blueberries and butterscotch. Great explosion of
>> blueberries on the palate. Long, flavorful, finish. By the end of the
>> meal, without a mouthful of food, the tannins showed a lot of pucker
>> and indicated a long future for this. Will search this one out for
>> future extravagances.

>Ed -
>
> - far be it from me to really doubt here, but are you sure that it
>was '01? I have been waiting for release of this, which I thought was
>scheduled for the coming September. [The '00 was delectable but above
>my price range for other than extravagance; I figure I deserve the odd
>such extravagance though!]
>
>Ewan

You are correct. I went back to my scribbled note and confirmed that
it was the 2000 Relentless. Have searched the usual suspects for a
source, but unsuccessful. Even the Shafer web site which features a
graphic of "Relentless" doesn't list it among their wines! Found
Firebreak sangiovese and the Shafer cabernet sauvignon in a lot of
dealers, but not the syrah.

Last night was dinner at Anasazi. Well done as usual. I started with
arugula pesto dipped scallops--sweet, tender and perfectly under-done.
SWMBO went with Caribbean shrimp with a habenero-rum sauce. Glad to
see her shift from the ahi tartare binge she has been on. Despite the
usual caution on habeneros, the sauce was perfect. Nice swelling
warmth throughout the mouth, tongue and throat, but no burn.

Main course was rack of lamb for her and Montana bison osso buco with
ancho-apricot reduction. The lamb was nicely rare, but the osso buco
was a bit dry. It's strictly a veal dish IMO.

Wine was Shafer cabernet sauvignon, 1998. I'm now a firm Shafer fan.
Nice dark cab color, big warm nose of dark berries, leather and smoke.
Then wonderful tastes of dark cherries, blackberries, leather,
vanilla, etc. etc. This was the generic CS. Anasazi also offered a
single vineyard Shafer cab, which I will have to reserve until winning
the lottery--well beyond my price range.