Posted to alt.food.wine

Default "I also think that mature wines have much more savory tones than young wines, which lean much on fruit, thus making mature wines much friendlier to a varied menu."

Mike wrote on Thu, 04 Nov 2010 08:13:58 +0100:

> On 04/11/2010 7:59, aesthete8 wrote:
>> Agree? Disagree?:
>>
>> http://www.midweek.com/content/colum...icagos_alinea/
>>
>> "I also think that mature wines have much more savory tones
>> than young wines, which lean much on fruit, thus making
>> mature wines much friendlier to a varied menu."

> Nils and I shared a 94 Yquem over monday lunch. I would not
> call it savory, despite its maturity. The roebuck fillets that
> we had in the previous course, maybe those were savory yes.

Possibly, this discussion might be better in alt.usage.english :-) I
suspect "tasty" might have been meant when "savory" was used. Yes, to me
also, "savory" conveys the impression of a flavorful, non-sweet dish.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland