Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy Space Cowboy is offline

Default Fujian v Taiwan Milky Oolongs

I came across some Fujian milky oolong in my local tea shoppe closeout
bin. It gave me a chance to compare it to the Taiwan version. The
Fujian actually uses milk to add the tisane flavor. Which begs the
question about cost and spoilage. The dry aroma of the Fujian leaf
definitely has a milky aroma more like evaporated milk. The taste in
the Fuian infusions never gives up. Its almost like a baby bottle.
That is surprising since it is an added flavor. I hope it aint
Chinese baby formula. I expected the infusion to be murky but it is
clear In the Taiwan version the flavor is imparted from the leaf
itself. This is the #21 varietal bred in 1981 by the Taiwan Tea
Research Station. The Taiwan smell is much more buttery like in a
movie theater but still floral. The taste is slightly burnt. The
after taste is somewhat elusive. The two teas have some taste in
common but the differences are apparent. If you like cream in your
tea Fujian is the choice. If you like milk substitute then Taiwan is
the choice.

Jim