Max Hauser

Default Larose-Trintaudon in general (was 2000)

A cross-post with historical reposts. (Not on the 2000 L-T, I haven't tried
it yet, but my notes on the 1999, and historical ones from earlier days of
wine on the Usenet.)

"Fred" also commented favorably here on 1999 L-T in two articles in 2003,
available by search.

The first notes are from a regional newsgroup and mention an outlet of a US
retail chain (Trader Joe's) discounting the price.

--
Subject: Red wine value
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:32:39 -0800

Trader Joe's has been dumping 1999 Ch. Larose-Trintaudon, from $15 or so
first to $10, then $6. (It's running out.)

I'm just trying some of it. Not bad for $6, solid light Bordeaux, what the
British trade calls, or anyway once called, a "luncheon Claret" (cool
old-fashioned name). Not as hard and woody as Larose in strong years but
very nice berryish fruit, vanilla from the wood, pretty drinkable, has a
couple of years of life.

I attach earlier excerpts from various dates on same producer from
net.wines, the Original Online Wine Forum (1982-86 when it changed to
rec.food.drink). Only a fraction of the articles are in the Google archive,
but these are there and reflect frequent contributors. (See Google for
more.) [I have access to independent archives of older online public wine
postings but I refer people to groups.google.com when also available,
because that currently is an accessible public Usenet archive. -- MH] Note
that "Trintaudon" is hard to spell, even without sampling it.

Charles Hunt, 22-Apr-85:
Newsgroups: net.wines

Right now, there are dozens of fine bordeaux available ... For small estates
(called "petit chateaux"), there are many available for <= $6; I personally
recommend: La Tour de By, Fourcas Hosten, Fourcas Dupree, Greysac, Larose
Trantadon, de Pez, Ormes de Pez, Marbuzet, Haut Marbuzet, Phelan Segur,
Carbonnieux, Smith Haute Lafitte, Plagnac, Bel-Air, ... they all have a
"Chateau" before the name to impress your friends, but are mostly really
just farms.

Beware the tricky French [deleted for brevity --MH]

Stephen P Pope, 28 Feb 86:
Subject: Cheap Bordeaux

I would like to add a few -- Ch. Larose Trintadoun, Ch. Le Crock, and Ch.
Potensac.

From: Charles Hunt, 3 Mar 86:

I forgot about Larose Trintadon (Haut Medoc). I agree that it's an
excellent Bordeaux for a modest price (the '78 is unreal... if you can find
it).

This chateau is owned by the firm which runs Marques de Caceres in the
Rioja-Alta of Spain. The similarities in style (despite the differing grape
varieties) is not coincidence. For a fun experience (when you have somebody
over for dinner), try a side-by-side comparison of the 1981
Marques-de-Caceres Red with a '79 or '81 Larose-Trintadon. It makes it
quite evident what a real bargain the Rioja is at only about 5 bucks per
jug.