Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: SOBER @ my house- Champagne, Alsace, Bdx, Piedmont, Burg,Rioja, Loire

On Oct 26, 3:46*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 3:36*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > On Oct 26, 10:57*am, DaleW > wrote:

> > > My turn to host SOBER. Next time I take the afternoon off! A little
> > > frantic, but although Betsy was going out she made the first course
> > > and gave general assistance. Nice group as always, who demonstrated
> > > patience with the tight spaces, needy dog, and hard vegetables.

> > > We started off as people drifted in with various cheeses, duck
> > > rillettes and prosciutto, sweet capicola, and 2 bubblies.

> > > 1998 Billecarte Salmon Blanc de Blancs Champagne
> > > Fresh and zippy, mineral and citrus, nice length. I really enjoyed
> > > this (actually more than the '98 Cuvee Nicholas-Francois I had last
> > > year). B+/A-

> > > 1996 Pommery "Cuvee Louise" Champagne Brut
> > > I found this not nearly as fresh. Yeasty, appley, but flat. One person
> > > thought it was just being a grumpy adolescent. But while I caught no
> > > sign during dinner, a sip as I was putting stuff away seemed to show
> > > trace TCA NR

> > > On to the blind flights. It's fun to be the one who knows for a
> > > change. :

> > > First Flight
> > > 1993 Drouhin Clos de la Roche
> > > Showed a bit of diaper on opening, but that had mostly dissipated by
> > > serving time. Someone called this low acid, I'd say moderate, but I'm
> > > surprised as I remember previous bottle being *a bit brighter.
> > > Pleasant, solid, but lacking a bit of depth. B

> > > 1993 Chandon de Briailles Corton-Bressandes
> > > Some mixed opinions on this one, but I quite liked. Red fruit, smoke,
> > > earth. A bit lighter than I expected for Corton, but I enjoyed. Group
> > > got CdBeaune quickly, but took a while for the wine. B+

> > > First course was a Marcella Hazan seafood salad, with *squid, octopus,
> > > clams, mussels, and shrimp. Due to some trepidation on opening the
> > > whites, I warned people to hold on to their Champagne.

> > > Second Flight
> > > (not served) 1983 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling - this had a
> > > bit of a fill issue, but a similar fill from same source was stellar
> > > earlier this year. This, however, was not stellar, but instead dying.
> > > NR

> > > 1996 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune Riesling
> > > A quick guess of white Rioja, then Dan said "no, we're in Alsace." The
> > > problem was the guesses then turned to 25-30 year old wines. My
> > > original plan was to do a Loire flight, but after recently seeing a
> > > note on a dinner where John had a PremOxed '96 CSH, I thought try this
> > > now. Well, if it was 30 years old, this might be acceptable, but this
> > > is not what one wants in a 14 year old CSH. C+

> > > 1999 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune Riesling
> > > This was the backup for the CFE, but needed to do duty for both. Not
> > > as advanced as the 96, but worrisomely soft. A glass during cleanup
> > > actually showed better than it did during dinner, but still at best a
> > > B.

> > > Third Flight
> > > 1964 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Rioja Gran Reserva
> [...]

I would agree about the reconditioning program as the wines I've had
were much tasting much younger than their years would suggest. My
understanding is that they are reconditioning with wine from the same
year but I have my doubts. The 1959 I had recently was quite dark and
reminded me more of a middle aged Grand Cru burgundy than Barolo.