Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Brother Anthony Brother Anthony is offline

Default Taiwan reroasting

'Re-roasting' might refer to the very common Taiwanese practice of
taking a batch of aready more or less fully dried tea and placing it
in a basket over a very low heat (from an electric coil) for several
hours from time to time (every few weeks or months). The heat is
around 50-60 degrees. It is a particularly important operation in
developing the flavor of Oriental Beauty, but it can be and is used to
intensify the taste of almost any kind of tea. The tea is loose, not
packed, of course. The process is known as 烘焙 hongbei. I say it is
'Taiwanese' because that is where I have seen it, I assume it is is
equally common in mainland China. The electric stoves are now quite
popular in Korea, too, both among tea makers for enhancing the taste
of Korean green tea and among tea-dealers to give a boost to the taste
of imported Oolongs before they are packed. No headaches anywhere in
sight, so far as I know, though.

Br A