Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tom Biasi[_2_] Tom Biasi[_2_] is offline

Default Brinkman Vertical Smoker

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 10/23/2010 7:37 AM, Tom Biasi wrote:

> "squirtz" wrote in message ...
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:28:05 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:
>
>> I have two. One for meats and one for peppers etc.
>> Its easy to get them too hot if you are not careful. I throw on wood
>> chunks
>> that I soaked in water overnight. Sometimes the chunks dry out and burst
>> into flames.

> Wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and poke a small hole (1/4cm)
> in the foil. That's the common way to use wood chunks in these
> smokers.
>
> -sw
>
> Yes, I do that sometimes. I don't often mind if they burn a little but
> just wanted to explain how it can get too hot if you are not watching.

I bought a battery operated remote thermometer. I put a cork on the end
of the probe and lay it on the rack next to the meat. That gives me the
best indication of the temperature in the smoker.

After several hours, when I think we are getting close to done (1 or so
hours) I take off the cork and put the probe into the meat.

When the meat has reached the desired temp (for me 10° less than
"done"), I will wrap it several times in heavy-duty foil, a couple of
big towels and a blanket and put it all in a cooler or styrofoam chest
for a couple of hours more.

Everyone develops their own set of techniques over time, but it helps to
get hints and information from others when you are first starting out.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

What brand of remote thermometer do you have? I haven't found any that hold
up.

Tom