Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL[_3_] JL[_3_] is offline

Default Canned vienna sausages

zxcvbob wrote:
> I saw some of these at Aldi last week and got nostalgic. I used to love
> 'em back in the 60's when I was a tyke (was gonna say "yoot", but I was
> younger than that at the time.) So I bought a can; I think it was 38˘
> for a 5 ounce can, and I'll probably use them next time I have to give
> the dog a pill.
>
> But I was wondering, are there any ways to eat them besides "raw" on a
> saltine cracker, or on a toothpick and dunked in ketchup or mustard? Can
> you fry them? Or mash 'em up and make paté?
>
> I'll bet Hawaiians have lots of good VS recipes...
>
> Bob

A bit of mustard & mashed garlic and puree, makes a tolerable 'deviled ham'.

Not that i would buy them, but a friend left a couple of cans after a
pot luck and i couldn't think of anything better to do with them.

My cats wouldn't eat them, but they wont eat any meats i offer them.

I remember rinsing them in hot water to remove the congealed fat they
are packed in.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.