Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brinkman Vertical Smoker

On 10/22/2010 5:17 PM, Steve B wrote:

> The advice about the foil with holes is in the instructions. On reading
> reviews of this cooker, most comment that they had to drill holes in the
> charcoal pan or make a hanging screen because it doesn't get "hot enough",
> but to my recollection, the cooking takes place from 180-195 F, and these
> sports wanted it up around the 220F. range. I'll check it out, and have
> another pan from my Brinkman bullet shaped smoker, so if I drill it, I will
> still have an original backup. With my bullet style stand up, I liked the
> ability to just check the chart for weight of the meat, add as much charcoal
> and water as the chart said for that amount of meat, and walk away. I think
> this one may require a little more tending, but the instructions also warn
> against opening the door, even once, as heat is lost, and it takes time to
> recover.

Steve,

There are two kinds of inexpensive Brinkmans. One is the Gourmet, which
is what I have. That one does not require drilling since it has legs.
The regular, little bit cheaper, Brinkman is the one that they say needs
to be drilled.

Before you drill anything, figure out which one you have.

BTW, Mine doesn't get too hot since I quit using water and started using
sand.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas