Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve B[_12_] Steve B[_12_] is offline

Default Brinkman Vertical Smoker

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 10/22/2010 10:26 AM, Steve B wrote:
>> I picked up a once or twice used Brinkman vertical smoker yesterday for
>> $5
>> at a yard sale. They sell for around $75. All the trays and shelves,
>> and a
>> pristine instructions manual.
>>
>> I have another Brinkman round smoker that I like to smoke turkeys in, but
>> it
>> is a little hard to use with all the stuff stacked the way it is when you
>> want to add water or briquettes. This one seems easier, and would be
>> better
>> for smoking fish and jerky and smaller items.
>>
>> Anyone use a smoker here? It IS a smoker, but it can be used to cook
>> anything cookable, using a slow cook temperature of 180-195 F. range.
>>
>> Am going to do a turkey in the round one this Thanksgiving, as they
>> always
>> come out so moist and juicy.
>>
>> Steve

> I have a Brinkman bullet-shaped smoker. The best advice was on
> alt.food.barbecue. There is an FAQ he
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> I use lump charcoal in mine. I don't use water, but put some sand in the
> bowl covered with foil. I don' tsoak lumps of wood in water, but wrap
> them in aluminum foil and poke 2 or 3 small holes in the foil which is,
> they have told me, the best way to create smoke. I use hickory chunks.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

The advice about the foil with holes is in the instructions. On reading
reviews of this cooker, most comment that they had to drill holes in the
charcoal pan or make a hanging screen because it doesn't get "hot enough",
but to my recollection, the cooking takes place from 180-195 F, and these
sports wanted it up around the 220F. range. I'll check it out, and have
another pan from my Brinkman bullet shaped smoker, so if I drill it, I will
still have an original backup. With my bullet style stand up, I liked the
ability to just check the chart for weight of the meat, add as much charcoal
and water as the chart said for that amount of meat, and walk away. I think
this one may require a little more tending, but the instructions also warn
against opening the door, even once, as heat is lost, and it takes time to
recover.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.