Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy Space Cowboy is offline

Default Taiwan reroasting

My wifes brotherinlaw who moved to Taiwan several years ago bought
some reroasted TGY and DongDing on a recent visit. He said it is all
the rage now there. I previously had some reroasted gaoshan. The
singularly distinctive tastes are replaced by more complex woodsy
malty finishing flavors. It is not meant to be drank on an empty
stomach. After several cups I feel a headache coming on before
breakfast. I was pleased that my Bai Hao got the approval from his
wife who is a Hakka descendent who grew up in the tea farming area of
Northern Taiwan. I suspect it could be better and will know when some
is shipped. I noticed all the packaging looked like shrink wrap with
nitrogen. Even the street vendors can package tea this way. He wasnt
aware of any nitrogen cannisters. I cant believe a vacuum pump could
create this kind of seal. Their three year son understands Mandarin
from his mother and English from his father. We played a game where I
spoke Chinese and he would indicate by a laugh how bad it was.
Everybody was laughing but me.

Jim