Conny

Default powdered sugar

Alex Rast wrote:

> at Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:12:45 GMT in >,
> (Conny) wrote :
>
> >I have checked several brands of powdered sugar, and they all have
> >cornstarch listed as the second ingredient other than sugar. Why
> >cornstarch?? to keep the sugar dry???

> To prevent caking and clumping. IMHO this is simply a visual/consumer
> appeal thing - it's easy enough to break up clumps in undoctored powdered
> sugar with a fork.
>
> > I need just powdered sugar to make
> >truffles.

> Why do you need powdered sugar at all? The classic truffle ganache uses no
> added sugar, simply cream and chocolate. IMHO it works better than using
> any sugar additive. You could coat truffles with powdered sugar instead of
> cocoa, but this wouldn't be an application for which the addition of
> cornstarch would be critical. If it's used in the truffle mix itself,
> though, you will want no cornstarch at all.
>
> > Does anybody know of a brand of sugar w/o the cornstarch?

> Wholesome Sweeteners makes one. I can buy it in bulk at my local co-op - it
> looks pretty clumpy, but works nicely. I suppose any store around your area
> that carries Wholesome Sweeteners (best known for their Sucanat product)
> will be able to order it for you if you ask.
>
> >Guess I have to make it myself in my spice/coffee grinder?

> Not recommended. These grinders won't grind it nearly fine enough, and are
> also not designed to handle products that liquefy under heat and mechanical
> action. The sugar will probably gum up the machine and unless you start
> with block sugar, the grinder will most likely not get any "bite" into the
> sugar, so the net result would be poor.
>
> Still, can you post your truffle recipe? I suspect your best results will
> come from using no sugar at all.
> --
> Alex Rast
>

> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Thanks Alex for your reply.
Here is the translated recipe:
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES WITH WHIPPING CREAM

½ lb. butter of good quality with a minium of water
½ lb whipping cream 35%
½ lb. powdered sugar (w/o cornstarch)
(500 gr) 500 gr. chocolate

In a pan with thick bottom, bring cream and butter slowly to the boil
and add the sugar
(donut be in a hurry with this).
Cool cream to room temperature.
Stir butter to a cream and add slowly to the cream and sugar. DO NOT
WHIP.
Put the mix into a pastry bag and make little balls on a baking sheet
with baking paper.
Cool the balls on the sheet in a freezer for about 30 min.
Cover at this stage the balls with white or regular chocolate
confiture.

Melt chocolate in microwave dish or au Bain Marie.
Take 2 or 3 balls at the time from the freezer.
With white chocolate you can roll the truffles in coconut, with
brown chocolate, roll the balls in cocoa powder.
Cool truffles.

Thanks again
Conny

--