Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 2001 Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva Il Poggio

Made pizza last night and opened a bottle of 2001 Monsanto Chianti
Classico Riserva Il Poggio. I haven't had the wine in years and noted
that I had about 8 bottles left in the cellar I thought I would pop
one to see if it had evolved. The wine was medium reddish purple in
the glass with just a faint hint of brick at the rim. Slightly high-
toned on the nose with red cherry and a bit of Brett. This all blew
off in a few minutes in the glass and the nose showed more black
fruits than red and a slight mineral component replaced the Brett.
Medium weight on the palate, black cherry, a bit of cedar and
vanilla. The wine seemed to gain weight as the evening went on and
the acidity seemed to soften. A pretty good Chianti Classico "B+"