Tom S

Default 1989 Bordeaux

"Bill Spohn" > wrote in message
> Lafite - sweet vanilla nose, medium dark colour, good bright fruit and

good
> length. It probably needs 10 years, but it is a medium bodied wine with
> elegance, not a Latour. It was interesting to see people automatically

turn on
> the adulation when a first growth turned up instead of properly assessing

the
> wine. This is why I do all my own events blind, so the identity of the

wine has
> no influence.

Hi, Bill -
FWIW, I agree that blind tasting is best - and I take your notes with a
grain of salt, due to the fact that this tasting was apparently not blind.

It appears that you rather liked the Lafite, but is it possible that you
downgraded it simply because you knew for sure that it wasn't a Latour
(which would seem to be your preference)?

Now my disclaimer: I love Lafite and Haut Brion the most among Bordeaux
first growths.

Tom S