Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: smoke Zin, Chablis, and Bourgogne

On Oct 12, 4:20*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Sunday was a full day for me, ferrying some homeless guys up from city
> and then leading a meeting. Eventually I made it home, to a glass of
> the 2008 Brocard "Kimmeridgian" Bourgogne. Clean, citric, Chablisesque
> chalkiness, though a bit too short to be classic. But nice for price,
> and it held up fine overnight. Screwcap. B-
>
> Dinner was lobster rolls - no mayo, just lobster meat with some good
> Isigny butter. *White Burgundy seemed fine, but I wanted an upgrade-
> to real Chablis. I went with the 2002 Domaine William Fevre
> "Montmains" Chablis 1er, figuring if it was PremOxed I'd just go back
> to the Brocard. The sad thing about the high rate of PremOx in '02
> Fevre is how damn good they are when they are on- like this bottle.
> Lovely balance, rich apple and citrus fruit, clean bright acids, nice
> length. There are some notes of flint and chalk, a hint of toast,
> though no overt wood. I thoroughly enjoy this, drinking well and no
> real sign of oxidation. A-
>
> Last night was puttanesca sauce on spaghetti, with broccolini, salad,
> and the 2008 Indian Creek Zinfandel (Mendocino). Midbodied, good red
> fruit, a hint of the smoke (this is the second label Navarro put out
> due to wildfires). Perfectly acceptable $10 zin, though it could use
> some complexity (which somehow the smoke doesn't seem to add- it just
> tastes like a simple wine by the campfire). B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

I've alwasy been a fan of the Brocard Kimmeridgian especially given
the price. I've had lunch at Brocard twice with Jean Marc and he is a
delightful and gracious host (he gifted all of us with mags of 1997 Le
Clos from the library and brought out a ton of old Chablis for us to
try). I've been fortunate so far that I haven't had any 2002 Fevre's
with premox although I have friends who have. The Montmains is one of
my favorites from Fevre.