Posted to rec.food.cooking
Manda Ruby Manda Ruby is offline

Default Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer

On Oct 10, 8:40 am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Oct 10, 8:11 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>

> >http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12385870
> > (great price)

> > I got a similar vented pourer two years ago that I use with Champagne
> > bottle to keep my olive oil by the stovetop area.

> > Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> > Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> > and it can hold ample volume.

> > I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. One is black color
> > and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> > like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> > getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. he told
> > me to call back on Monday at 3PM.

> > Wondering anyone does the same?

> > More pourer http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-395-Bot.../dp/B000HMC0EU

> > I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> > "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.

> Manda I use a wine bottle with a unique design. Someone brought the
> wine in to the restaurant and they left the bottle. I really liked
> the shape of it and brought it home to be my oil bottle. I use a
> stopper instead of a pourer though. I feel the stopper keeps the air
> out better. I don't fill the bottle all the way with olive oil
> either, I just put in what I feel I'll use up in a decent amount of
> time so that the oil doesn't go bad sitting
> near the heat of the stove.
>
> Here's a picture of the bottle, the cutie next to it is my kitchen
> witch, Cookie.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...Witch#55264404...

It's very interesting shape of bottle. Mine is exact same color but
bigger without looking bulky. I see some pourer with the cover lid
that just opens up hen the bottle is upside down. After I posted here,
I saw one at Crate and Barrel. It's the third one at the link below:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/search...=wine%20pourer

I just called the store (not in my area) and they have it in the
store. I'll be passing through that area in a few days and so I will
pick them up. I just hope it fits the wine bottle I am going to get.
Crate & Barrel has stopper too. I wouldn't mind the stopper either.

The one I have it exactly like that except with no lid. I hope that
their is as good quality one as the one I have.

> This is the kind of stopper I use, mine is a commemorative one from
> the Clinton library that was given to me as a gift.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/shopping
>
> See if you can find a uniquely shaped bottle, keep looking, use a
> plain old bottle till you find one that is really cool looking and
> fits your personality. They are out there.

I like dark color bottle that prevents the light passing through as
much as possible.