Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy Space Cowboy is offline

Default Tap v Fridge

On a recent visit I was scolded by coffee drinkers why I would use tap
water over filtered water from a refrig water dispenser. Besides the
fact I could fill a kettle instantly from the tap instead a glass at a
time from the refrig across the room I said at best a charcoal filter
might remove some mineral or bacteria. The boiling would take care of
the bacteria and any mineral added its own taste which was a
positive. I added I was saving on energy by not reheating cooled
water. The discussion soon generated into what was the best bottled
water for making coffee. Somebody added distilled had to be the best
because it was the most pure. Then there was the chlorine argument
which I added gets boiled away anyway. I like the chill water versus
the tap for a drinking glass. In the summer tap water I find too
warm. However from my well it is always cool. I also found out my
brother-in-law who visited early had convinced everybody tap water was
dangerous too your health. Since we were drinkng from the same kettle
I had to obey the house rules.

Jim

PS The puer I deposited there several years ago which no one drinks
is during quite nicely in the high humidity climate. It compares to
HK. I did buy a shu bing supposedly stored in HK from the early
eighties. It tasted good at the gongfu session but in the light of
the day I paid too much. At least I didnt find it on TaoBao or
anywhere else. I have some I bought in tongs in 04 which is also
during well as it dries out and cures.