Old 31-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Kev Crocombe

Default Yeast for breadmaker

In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , Steph Peters
writes

Go on the hunt for big packs of Fermipan yeast. Eighth Day in Manchester, a
local wholefood shop, sells them, 500g for about 2. Bought a pack in
March, gave half to a friend, and I'm still using the other half from the
freezer. Initially I used 1/2 tsp for 400g of white flour, 1 tsp for
granary or wholemeal; as the yeast is now rather elderly I've upped that by
50%.

I haven't seen that. Shall have a search for it.

PS Wasn't it lovely when you could walk down to the baker's and ask for
fresh yeast? You could freeze it for ages and it still came up trumps.
Pity. That is what the supermarkets have done for us (sadly, - even
Waitrose).

You can get free fresh yeast at Tescos if you ask - took me a while to
adapt it for the abm though - though it definitely gives a different
result.

On the whole I'm a Fermipan convert too.

I am a phagocyte in the the bloodstream of the body politic