Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default (2010-09-29) NS-RFC: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen (redux)

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Sep 29, 9:49*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > I can't swear what is my fridge temperature, [...]

>> I don't own a 'fridge thermometer', but all I can say is that I had
>> to adjust the temperature settings on both my fridges recently to
>> make them slightly warmer - because foods I'd placed in there to keep
>> cool were starting to freeze, and stuff I'd placed in them overnight
>> to defrost were still rock-solid-frozen in the morning.

> Usually if your fridge is starting to freeze the contents it means
> your coils need a serious cleaning. If you havent uncovered and
> cleaned your refrigerator coils for a while it might be a good thing
> to do so.

It would appear you're assuming that our fridges are the same design as
yours. I think not.

Both our fridges and the freezer have the coils mounted *outside* at the
back of them and they certainly do not have any covers over them. Our
fridges/freezer are not 'built in' either, so it's no Big Deal to pull
them away from their usual positions against the wall to clean
underneath them, between them and behind them - which Jack helps me do
on a (fairly) regular basis. So the coils are 'right there in the open'
and easy enough to clean too.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy