Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
> it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
> volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
> dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
> fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
> thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
> wiped clean.

The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen. You family is involved in your
kitchen and it includes the whole family, including pets.

Health Department regulations for industrial and institutional
kitchens are there for the protection of the public.
If you are conscious about proper food handling, refrigeration and
sanitation of sinks and surfaces in your home kitchen you are fine.

Unless you have a compromised immune system, the human body handles
pretty much everything very well.
If you handle foods properly, proper cooling and storage, etc., the
stringent regulations imposed on commercial kitchens are not as
applicable to the home.

Nobody is talking about not cleaning or sanitizing or leaving foods
out, etc. But your cat or your dog or your kids do not an unclean
kitchen make.