Steph Peters

Default Yeast for breadmaker

(Matthew) of http://groups.google.com wrote:
>[I am in the UK]
>I have recently purchased a (cheap!) breadmaker, and have made my
>first two loaves.
>
>The recipe book specifies 1/2 tsp of yeast to 450 grams flour, while
>the yeast I purchased, Hovis Fast Action (six sachets for an
>extortionate 89p) says one sachet (7 grams - about 2 tsp) for 750
>grams of flour. I decided to follow the yeast and put in most of a
>packet.
>
>Unfortunately the dough rose much too much. The result was reasonably
>tasty, but definitely too much yeast.
>
>So for my second loaf I decided to follow the recipe book strictly,
>and put in 1/2 tsp of yeast.
>
>This one rose hardly at all.

Go on the hunt for big packs of Fermipan yeast. Eighth Day in Manchester, a
local wholefood shop, sells them, 500g for about £2. Bought a pack in
March, gave half to a friend, and I'm still using the other half from the
freezer. Initially I used 1/2 tsp for 400g of white flour, 1 tsp for
granary or wholemeal; as the yeast is now rather elderly I've upped that by
50%.

What flour are you using? To get bread right you need appropriate
proportions of flour, water and yeast. Flours do vary - one brand of white
will need more yeast than another brand. Your lack of rising could be from
other causes - too little water, or I've managed to produce brick like
results by trying to put fresh garlic in.
--
He's DEAD, Jim. Tell the Klingons that dinner is served.
Steph Peters, Manchester, England