JEP

Default Comparing bottle A vs bottle B over a couple of weeks

amnspam (Dale Williams) wrote in message >...
> I'd go with solution 1. I've never thought vac-u-vin very effective. If I know
> I really am not going to drink more than 1/2 a bottle over a couple days, I
> immediately pour half into a clean 375 and recork. Wine holds a week or two
> quite well. Same would obviously work with 187ml bottles.

I agree.

> I recently read where someone does the same thing, but adds a few drops of a 2%
> solution of potassium metabisulfite (did I get that right?) -seems more
> complicated than needed to me, but ingenous.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure why I never
thought of it. It wouldn't take much Potassium Metabisulfite to
scavange the O2 picked up during transfer or left in the head space of
the new bottle. Since I usually have some K. Meta. solution on hand,
it really wouldn't be any more complicated than just transfering the
wine.

> The other idea would be a commercial heavy gas product, i.e. Private Reserve.

I have my concerns about the effectiveness of this especially after
the discussions we've had here and on RCW about gas dynamics.

> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Andy