Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default (2010-09-26) NS-RFC: Kitchen sponges

On 09/26/2010 10:00 AM, maxine in ri wrote:
> On Sep 26, 12:19 pm, > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I'm going to blame Dimitri and Kalmia for this one ;-)

> Thus far, I'm with the majority, who do have sponges, and use various
> methods to clean them.
>
> I use mine regularly to wipe up spills, with bleach to clean the
> (white) counters, and periodically it goes in the dishwasher when it's
> been wiping up after raw meat or fish.
>
> Knock wood, noone has ever gotten sick after eating in my house, so
> whatever I'm doing must be working.

I wash them out after using them, but I also throw them away really
frequently. James laughs at me for this, but it's just a thing with me.
I probably put out a new sponge more often than once a week, and if a
sponge is left sitting with dirty dishes overnight, it gets tossed.

Now, I *know* that after a dish is cleaned with even the germiest
sponge, it's then RINSED under HOT WATER in my house, so this is a silly
compulsion, but it's my compulsion, and that's that.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Weekend Cooking: Pandora’s Salted Angel’s Cake