Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Old rice

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:15:13 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I made Emeril's Cajun Jambalaya, last night.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5excp5
>
>Pretty dang good for an FN recipe. Only one problem, OLD rice!
>
>I guess I never thought of rice getting too old or going bad, but it
>does. Unlike cereal grains, which tend to go rancid, rice gets old and
>porous, making the cooked product crumbly and mealy in mouthfeel.
>Ick!
>
>This was long grain white rice and was only about 8-9 mos old. What's
>the shelf life of most rices?
>
>nb

I just this week bought a five pound bag of ordinary store brand
(Walmart) white rice to replace the last bag that was just used up
after seven years... was perfectly good all those years. I don't use
much rice, less than a pound a year. I've never had raw white rice go
bad... cooked is a whole nother story (forgotten for weeks in the
fridge), however birds ate it. I store my rice in air tight gallon
glass jars... my house is kept climate controled; temperature 68F-70ºF
and humidity 35%-40% all year.