Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Siemon Michael Siemon is offline

Default Using a food processor to grind meat.

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Michael Siemon" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Yes, I used to do it a long time ago, but the results are not so good.
> >> As
> >> you have described, first you have to cut up the meat and then freeze it.
> >> Not worth all the trouble! Oh and I didn't have a particularly high end
> >> processor. Process it just a bit too long and you have mush.

> > A good, reasonably large, food processor does a good job on a smallish
> > (up to 1 pound) quantity of meat. Yes, it should be cut into cubes first
> > (say, 3/4" to 1"). And you need to pulse, watching to make sure you do
> > not create "mush" (as noted above). This is a quite reasonable way to
> > chop chicken or pork for Thai larb, for example. And I've done it for
> > hamburgers as well.
> >

> Are you using the plastic blade? I've never been able to "grind" in the
> processor. The pieces are "chopped". I haven't, however, used the plastic
> blade, and I've only tried to do this with beef. Chopped meat is nice and
> slightly different for some dishes, like sloppy joes.
>
> Kent

Metal blade. And yes, the result is "chopped" -- so, slightly different
in texture. But it is fine for hamburgers, and noticeably _better_ for
larb or other ethnic dishes which traditionally _are_ chopped rather
than run through a european style grinder.