Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default MEAT GRINDERS

"Rumford *******" wrote:
>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
>
>... no machine
>> shop is going to tie up a $1,000,000.00+ CNC machine to produce a part
>> that ain't hardly worth $2.

>Oh Sheldumb please join the rest of us in the 21st century. A CNC mill for
>that type of job can be had for well under 10K you pulled that million
>dollar price tag out of your ass like most of your info. Besides, an
>abrasive water cutting machine would be more appropriate for such a job than
>a CNC mill anyway and could cut a plate in about three minutes. Machine time
>typically runs around $200 an hour for either machine.

Shit for brains Rummy proves my point... no machine shop is going to
agree to fabricate ONE grinding plate on any machine in ONE hour...
can buy a brand new REAL grinder for $200 and have change left over
for meat. Unless one can locate a larger holed KA plate (ask at
Allied Kenco) the most intelligent method is to modify an existing
plate... there is absolutely no reason to fabricate an entire plate
from scratch when stock KA plates are readily available... the Rummy
******* obviously has the intelligence of an amoeba.

It's really quite simple to enlarge the holes on a grinding plate
(especially one of stainless steel/hardened carbon steel not so easy),
and by many methods easily achieved at home with very basic homeowner
tools... all one needs is a cheapo variable speed hand drill and a set
of HS twist drills... stack three stock plates and screw down to a
hunk of lumber and drill through all three plates moving the holding
screws as needed. If one wants a better ID finish send a fluted
reamer through. The top plate will act as a drill guide bushing, the
bottom plate will be a support and minimize exit burrs. In the end
all three plates will be usable... any holes that break through can
easily be hand filed to an elongated/kidney shape. Of course if one
has a friend who owns or works in a machine shop then the subject is
moot, should cost nothing, but enlarging holes is a very easy job most
anyone can do at home.