Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default results of grassfed roast experiment

"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> Welcome to my world, when I got to the butcher that had the grassfed beef
> the only cut they had was a shoulder roast. (Which I'd also never made
> before.) So I bought that.
>
> I made it as planned but my cousin the legendary cook said I *had* to add
> garlic, white pepper and paprika, so I did, but although it was done to
> perfection it didn't taste like much, I think I undersalted and
> underseasoned it.
>
> I cut off a bit of what remained of my half (I always take half of
> everything I make for each holiday to a mentally disturbed woman who lives
> in the city and otherwise would not get holiday food, she doesn't want to
> be my guest but is happy to get the goodies) to make my first attempt at a
> "diabetic version" cholent for Shabbos day, which came out not bad
> although more a soup than a cholent per se. I used about 3 oz of the
> meat, 1/4 cup (dry measure) garbanzo beans since I previously established
> that I can tolerate those quite well, 1 tbsp (dry measure) lentils (ditto
> re tolerating), and 1 1/2 tsp barley (which I was afraid of but away from
> home I usually take about a tablespoon full (cooked volume) without a
> problem), 7 whole garlic cloves, additional salt and white pepper,
> cayenne pepper, some of the original gravy and onions, and additional
> water. [For anybody who doesn't know how cholent is made, my method is
> that once all the ingredients are in the pot one turns on the fire on high
> (I do this with the pot uncovered), then when it boils one covers the pot,
> turns the heat down very low, covers the fire (most people use a sheet of
> tin for this purpose, I use a "heat diffuser"), and leaves it alone until
> lunchtime the next day. Since the fire is covered by shortly before
> sunset on Friday, this means the simmer time is about 18 hours.]
>
> BG did go up to 150 about 45 minutes after this possibly too-generous meal
> (which also included the now famous half-matzo and a small first course)
> but I started the day with FBG of 134 and was still 115 on returning from
> services, so I'm thinking on a normal Shabbos when I'm maybe 95 after
> services this would really be fine. I didn't test again at two hours but
> was back to 104 after my afternoon nap.
>
> I think maybe I will cut up the rest of the meat and divide up the
> remaining gravy and onions and freeze it in a bunch of small tupperwares
> to use for future cholents. (I don't really like red meat enough to eat
> it up during the week, and the butcher that carries the grassfed beef is
> in the city, so like this I can avoid making another trip there for quite
> a while.)
>
> Thanks again to all who provided advice about the cuts I originally asked
> about, and for the interesting recipes.

Did you find that the grass-fed cooked differently than regular beef? I
haven't personally noticed this except that perhaps it is a more lean meat.
But I was watching a cooking show and one chef who had never cooked it
before claimed that it cooked a lot faster. That was her excuse for
overcooking it. Heh!