Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ellen K. Ellen K. is offline

Default results of grassfed roast experiment

Welcome to my world, when I got to the butcher that had the grassfed beef
the only cut they had was a shoulder roast. (Which I'd also never made
before.) So I bought that.

I made it as planned but my cousin the legendary cook said I *had* to add
garlic, white pepper and paprika, so I did, but although it was done to
perfection it didn't taste like much, I think I undersalted and
underseasoned it.

I cut off a bit of what remained of my half (I always take half of
everything I make for each holiday to a mentally disturbed woman who lives
in the city and otherwise would not get holiday food, she doesn't want to be
my guest but is happy to get the goodies) to make my first attempt at a
"diabetic version" cholent for Shabbos day, which came out not bad although
more a soup than a cholent per se. I used about 3 oz of the meat, 1/4 cup
(dry measure) garbanzo beans since I previously established that I can
tolerate those quite well, 1 tbsp (dry measure) lentils (ditto re
tolerating), and 1 1/2 tsp barley (which I was afraid of but away from home
I usually take about a tablespoon full (cooked volume) without a problem), 7
whole garlic cloves, additional salt and white pepper, cayenne pepper, some
of the original gravy and onions, and additional water. [For anybody who
doesn't know how cholent is made, my method is that once all the ingredients
are in the pot one turns on the fire on high (I do this with the pot
uncovered), then when it boils one covers the pot, turns the heat down very
low, covers the fire (most people use a sheet of tin for this purpose, I use
a "heat diffuser"), and leaves it alone until lunchtime the next day. Since
the fire is covered by shortly before sunset on Friday, this means the
simmer time is about 18 hours.]

BG did go up to 150 about 45 minutes after this possibly too-generous meal
(which also included the now famous half-matzo and a small first course) but
I started the day with FBG of 134 and was still 115 on returning from
services, so I'm thinking on a normal Shabbos when I'm maybe 95 after
services this would really be fine. I didn't test again at two hours but
was back to 104 after my afternoon nap.

I think maybe I will cut up the rest of the meat and divide up the remaining
gravy and onions and freeze it in a bunch of small tupperwares to use for
future cholents. (I don't really like red meat enough to eat it up during
the week, and the butcher that carries the grassfed beef is in the city, so
like this I can avoid making another trip there for quite a while.)

Thanks again to all who provided advice about the cuts I originally asked
about, and for the interesting recipes.